Thanks guys. Changing the output device, then changing it back, didn't work.
Happily, the headphones work in Recovery Mode. As I type this, I play with
volume; nothing. Suddenly, I think to check the Mute status… Yep, they were
just muted! Everything is working again, and now I know what to look for if
this happens again. I'm certain I didn't mute anything, so one of these audio
programs must have done it somehow. Anyway, thanks for the help!