Hello again,
FFirst  of all, thanks for all the responses to my other questions.  Really
helped a lot
I was thinking of trying to get a full-blown GNOME desktop environment
running on this machine, as I am familiar with that environment. Doing some
research, I can see that their is an open source version of the Xorg X11
Window system that I can install.  Ideally, I would love the greatest and
latest stuff viable from the GNOME Project which at present, is Gnome
3.4.X.  However, I think we have some problems.  If I'm wrong in these
assumptions, feel free to correct me where necessary.  If memory serves,
GNOME 3.x has some dependencies on systems, which is Linux-specific.  That
is, their is at present, no BSD-compatible system implementation. I don't
believe that system needs to be running, however I do believe that core
system library functions are now dependencies.  Does it make sense to
install a copy of VMware Fusion and install a copy of Debian into the guest
VM?  If I do go this route, is their anything I need to be concerned about
in Fusion specifically?  Note that I have a license for VMware Workstation.
 Will I have to purchase an additional license for Fusion?
Second question
Does it make sense to install the GNU-specific tools? In my opinion, they
are simply just better than the implementations provided by BSD.  I could
install them out of the way, into for example, /usr/local/bin, as that way,
it won't conflict with software that is under version control via whatever
package management system that OS X uses to manage updates.