I found this with my electricity company. I couldn't subscribe to one of their flat rate plans with Safari but could using Firefox under Windows.

On 17/03/2015 13:48, Phil Halton wrote:
I have been finding that safari fails quite a bit in certain websites where I
try to make a purchase. I can think of three websites off-hand where I recently
was kicked out using Safari. It just doesn’t work with Safari. Even my bank
yells a bit when I log on with safari although it lets me in.
In these cases, I use internet explorer in a windows VM and problem solved.

I checked to see that safari had JAVA enabled, but beyond that I can’t think of
what might be the problem. Maybe Safari just isn’t a main stream browser and
can’t handle sophisticated websites.
I like using safari, but I can’t rely on it for all my internet browsing and
need a backup like IE in windows. Too bad!