Good to know. My parents just got fooled. They say that there was some popup that said their flash was out of date and to download an updater. Well, they went ahead and did that but it wasn't the real Flash updater. So now every time they click a link it opens a new browser tab to some other malware download stuff, pops up giant ads and other annoyances. This included the obligatory "call this number for help" which they did but at least they stopped before actually handing over their credit card number. The tipoff to them was that the 'tech support company' wasn't actually Apple. I think they had wanted $150 to 'fix' their machine.

From what I read, under the hood the malware actually uses some unix tricks to attach itself to the browsers process (Safari, Chrome or Firefox) and intercept all the requests so they can modify the links on the fly. Pretty sneaky. From this Apple article it sounds like you can sometimes wipe it out just by doing a major OS upgrade:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202225

They were on OSX 10.8 so I had them start downloading/installing 10.10 last night and it was still going earlier today. If that doesn't work I'll run through the steps here to try and kill of the badness:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

They apparently got MacKeeper installed which is not a good thing. I found this recent article talking about how Malware does it's thing on OSX and that we're going to find more of it migrating from Windows:

http://www.howtogeek.com/210589/mac-os-x-isn’t-safe-anymore-the-crapware-malware-epidemic-has-begun/

I'll keep adwaremedic.com in mind if my other attempts fail. Thanks for the timely info.

CB