Hi George,

First, thanks for your efforts on this.  It was really nice of you to check
into it.

the guy I spoke with yesterday--purely by happenstance--is a senior tech
support advisor.  I've got his direct email and phone, so am going to try
following up with him first.  But thanks for posting the AppleCare number,
that'll be my next step.

I've tried just about everything.  Inside, outside, with phone, without phone,
and no joy.  I didn't even know there was supposed to be feedback at the
halfway point.  I don't think it's a hardware issue, because other than this,
all sounds and haptic feedback work as expected.  Which pretty much makes it a
software issue.  Do you know if the apple Care people you talked with were
using VO when they did the test?  I'm wondering if that's causing the problem.

Anyway, Rick hit it on the head.  It's not that I want to be hasty, especially
with a new product.  But if i have to decide within fourteen days, I'll err on
the side of returning.  I can always purchase another one later, but once my
two weeks is gone, so is my option to return the device.
Cheers,
Donna