Yes, yes, I’m with you.  Totally understand and we’re on the same page.

My receiver I speak of has all sorts of different services that are completely
separate.  My XM has nothing to do with iTunes which is a different spec from
google and there’s probably a dozen different technologies I could use to get
data from a central storage array out of it either NFS, iTunes, SMB, and you
get the idea.  Some sort of lossless general standard would be a good thing.
Then you could snap in what ever you want.
        Also, believe it or not, this same receiver I speak of only has wired
ethernet so yeah so much for that wireless network.  Have a Cisco AC bridge
that joins my home network and then hands off ethernet.  Stupid!  Also
something the average person off the street won’t know to do or won’t bother to
do.

So if I get what you propose, a general spec for interconnection and then all
sorts of mix and match either speakers, headphones, input sources and they can
all work around your home with out pulling cable or tricky setup.

Why hasn’t this happened?

I’m thinking more down this path, I have wireless HDMI devices which have
nothing to do with the wireless audio.

Ok I see it. I’m wondering if the home automation folks are working in this
area since they seem to do pretty well on the standards side.  You’d think some
industry group or standards group could step in here.

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 3:44 AM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listse...@me.com> wrote:
>
> More confirmation here:
> http://www.macrumors.com/2016/06/29/cirrus-logic-mfi-lightning-headphone-dev-kit/
>
> Lightning.  Still not happy about it, but then I’m not buying an iPhone 7, so
> it’s OK, for now.  Gotta love the Apple pundits continuing to be completely,
> ahem, tone deaf on the issue.
>
> Scott, I was talking more in the way of degradation to today’s computer
> speakers over the use of complex physical changers.  Yep, there are crazy
> workarounds, but there’s still no direct path from digital to your speaker
> system or even boombox; either you’ve got proprietary interfaces to the
> network or sky-rise vertically integrated systems that know about very
> specific services, but no general-purpose network interconnect that’ll work
> no matter the digital input source.  What we want is for today’s computers
> and smartphones to be able, either wirelessly or with digital AV interfaces,
> to benefit from the big speakers.  That can’t be too much to ask, can it?
> I’ve been looking into all the various solutions, especially Sonos, but I’m
> still feeling pretty meh about it, really.  Sure I can build a component
> system and cable it all together and use a remote to switch components, but
> why bother when I have a working wired and wireless network and all my
> stuff—everything I care about—is all digital now and will become increasingly
> so as I rip it from analog?  I just despair that at this golden time of
> opportunity, all the vendors are going their own separate ways to screw the
> consumer with closed protocols and meshes and cordless standards.
>
> As for SD card storage, the only thing I’ll say is that Apple would rather
> you pay their prices than wipe your bottom with money, so they don’t offer
> you the choice.  But realistically, the SD interface is slow, and if it
> existed at all it would only be in an adaptor form factor anyway; there is
> simply no use case for permanently accessible storage that’s external.  Sure
> I’d love it, but I think Apple are probably right here not to include the
> slot, all the same.  Even on Android a lot of people use SD cards purely for
> data, and not for apps, because the speed difference is noticeable.  What
> Apple needs to do is expose SD cards using document providers, and make the
> file system more useful by making it accessible through iOS and from outside
> from a trusted computer or over the network.  That, I think, is far more
> practical and useful, IMO, and would make the grudges about storage far less
> legitimate.

> list.

> ---

list.