Linux runs on everything.  My car has Linux in it I believe.  Macs are all Unix
under the hood and Linux is just a flavor of unix.  Solaris is another flavor
for example and Free BSD yet another.  All can run on a Mac.
A Mac is a general purpose computer in the sense you can write what ever you
want for a device as long as you support it’s hardware.  It’s not just OS X
that you can run.  Remember, Bootcamp folks run windows natively every day.

There’s Unix for raspberry pies, linux running on computers half the size of
sugar cubes and on the other end of that spectrum, linux running on super
computers larger than many federal building complexes. A unix variant and I
believe in some cases Linux are even run on computers with in the space shuttle
going that far back or on the space station today.
        The reverse is also true.  a PC like a Dell can also run OSX.  That’s a
legal issue and not licensed hardware so not a great idea administratively but
the hardware isn’t the issue.  Stuff runs on stuff it’s more generic than you’d
think.:)  I run router and firewall code right out of network appliances to
simulate their behavior on a Mac so my Mac spins up 4 virtual Juniper routers
and a couple SRX firewalls and I build a virtual lab environment, running on
the actual code but yet it sits right in my laptop for me to build, takedown
and rebuild to suit my testing and modeling needs.

Hope that clears things up.

list.