Hello

First, the 3rd generation, as far as Apple Support is concerned, is long gone.
So your chances of support may be slim. Not impossible, but slim. Now onto your
questions.

This remote, does not charge, unlike the 4th generation. Therefore, you change
the batteries when it is low. To set it up with VoiceOver, make sure your TV is
tuned into the correct HDMI input channel. You should then hear it talking you
in how to turn on VoiceOver to set up Apple TV with VoiceOver.