Just did this last night when I finished some Audiobook Builder projects, 10 gigs worth. Took about 5 minutes to copy to the Automatically Add folder then opened iTunes and it was done.

I agree that breaking the 1 tb into smaller pieces is better. The Mac may need some tine outs to cool down.

From E.T.'s Keyboard. . .
  I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.
E-mail: ancient.ali...@icloud.com