Things haven’t changed that much, porn is still one of the biggest financial
drivers on the internet.  A very large percentage of the over all traffic is
adult content.  When I was running my carrier business I had several adult
content providers as customers.  They were some of the best clients you could
ask for.  Always wanting more and more bandwidth, paid on time every time and
pushed a lot of traffic that was destined for over seas networks making peering
attractive for overseas players helping me build connections that delivered
very good international connectivity.  The South Koreans for example download a
massive amount of US adult content.  Helped me set up several lasting
relationships with Koreatel and KDDI Japan.:)
        Adult content is also in a small way helping the adoption of IPv6.  At
one point there was a porn site that was available completely for free but only
over IPv6.  It motivated a few folks to deploy a dual stack arrangement if you
know what I mean.:). Free adult content is a motivator.

list.