Following up on this thread I came across something that sounds even
better, a command to turn the screen off completely. The article is a
bit dated, but fascinating nevertheless:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/14/disable-the-internal-screen-on-a-macbook-pro-or-air-in-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

Can't wait to get mine back from repair to give this a try under High
Sierra.

Janina