In addition to what Tim said, here are a couple other thoughts.

You do need a Mac, and you need to download the free Xcode app. That's what
you'll use to write, compile, and deploy your apps. It's a huge program and can
be very confusing at first, and even well after your first few uses. You'll be
interacting a LOT.

Apple has some good Swift courses, walking you through making some basic apps
so you can get used to how things work. These are for sighted people, of
course, so a few of the steps will be different. You won't control-drag, for
instance. Let us know when you run into anything like this and we can try to
explain the VO-specific alternative, if any of us know it.

Finally, consider joining the mv-dev email list, started by Cara, one of the
mods on the MacVisionaries list. It's very low traffic, and you may not always
get a response, but it's worth checking out. It's on Google Groups, so emailing
mv-dev+subscr...@googlegroups.com should work to get you on it.

--
Alex Hall