WRT Swift / Objecttive C

Both Objective C and Swift are the primary programming languages that Apple
systems use for development.  Objective C was used on the NeXT platform for
designing Objects and because of the function call structure of Objective C
when Apple created Swift it needed to have the ability to have named parameters
in functions so that those functions would work with the FrameKits that were
written using Objective C and that there would be no need to completely rewrite
all of the frameworks.

Both Objective C and C++ are extensions of the C programming language that was
used to develop the original core of Unix
Swift is a modern language with the ability to add methods to not only objects
but generic data structures like enumerations. It also supports "functional"
programming style where a function is provided as one of the arguments to
another function with another argument being a list or list like item.

Swift does tend to avoid the try / catch coding practices often used in other
object oriented programming languages

                Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn