the math tests are pretty good. However, one thing I just had an idea on: a
fill in the blank quote test. take a quote (famous or slightly famous), pull
out 1 word and put an edit box in it's place. that will generally foil most
automated crawlers and any human can look up the actual quote and fill in the
blank (and some of us might even know more than a few of those quotes by heart).

there are plenty of methods out there that can be used and are accessible as
well.

-eric

PGP fingerprint: 6DFB D6B0 3771 90F1 373E 570C 7EA2 1FF3 6B68 0386

On May 13, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Jonathan Cohn wrote:

> As Karen has pointed out, the W3C working groups has written a note about
> these systems. The note points out  the following very generally:
> 1. It can be fairly easy to cir circumnavigate these systems using low cost
> labor or even possibly Machine learning algorithms.
> 2. Better results can often be had by limiting initial posting policies and
> by using auto spam detection services.
> 3. Having universal authenticators like facebook or google accounts can help,
> though I expect after recent privacy revelations people are backing down from
> linking diverse account with their Google or Facebook accounts. (Last
> sentence is mine and not a summary of one could obtain from the W3C document).
> 4. Using two factor systems can help. (We have discussed here some of the
> issues with SMS already)
> 5. Use logic or math challenges but have enough of them that a bot can't earn
> the entire set
> 6. In all cases, there should be a way for a person to contact an
> administrator of the system in question if they are unable to answer the
> challenges.
>
> Karen also mentioned honey pot solutions. These basically are URL that look
> like a authentication page, but only but are not. If you see requests to the
> honey pot site you can briefly blacklist the originating IP address from
> being able to create an account as it is probably a web-crawler or other bot.
>
> The original article I read was here and if you are thinking of implementing
> such services a review of current literature would be recommended.
> https://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/
>
> Jonathan Cohn

> list.

> caraqu...@caraquinn.com