Hi Eric,

Your memory is correct.  Pressing the CTRL key while VO is speaking will
silence speech, and pressing it again will resume speech.
This has not changed in recent and current versions of the macOS.
Sometimes VO misbehaves and it is necessary to toggle VO off and back on to
correct its behavior.
When silencing speech with the CTRL key, be sure you press and release the CTRL
key and do not continue to hold the CTRL down.  This makes it clear what
command you are giving to VO.

HTH

- Brad -