Janina,

Yes, I’ll bet that different manufacturers use these contacts differently.

An Apple or other brand  plug  can have a tip, two rings, and the sleeve to
make 4 contacts, and even if the ground is wired to the sleeve, the intended
jack might have a larger sleeve contact that shorts out the next ring.

And the. wiring of the tip and two rings can be switched around, to make things
more confusing.

So definitely important that the intended jack be used with the intended plug.

Not as standardized as with 1/4-inch plugs and jacks used in audio components.

Dave Carlson
 Oregonian, Farfar, Engineer, Musician, Pioneer, and Woodworker

list.

caraqu...@caraquinn.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/D0ADA88B-0930-47CA-86B9-887A7F7A3A60%40gmail.com.