From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com> On
Behalf Of Karen Lewellen
Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 4:24 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Would love to hear from anyone who owns an M1 MBA

Certainly, it documents a preference, not a standard.  Including the author
stating they have not done it themselves regularly on their macbook.
is it a fine choice for some?  To be sure.  Is it a recommendation from
professionals? no.

On Fri, 7 May 2021, Brad Snyder wrote:

> Thanks Rebecca,
>
> While this article is about 7 years old, it certainly explains why wiping
your drive, and reloading the OS may be a good idea for routine system
health.
> The article also makes it clear why I recommend making a clean start when
setting up a new machine.

> - Brad -
>

> On May 7, 2021, at 12:50, <skipper8...@gmail.com> <skipper8...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I understand why Brad recommends the clean install, and this article
points out the advantages for Windows and Mac.
> However, I usually only reinstall Windows every few years and am so new to
the Mac that I can't tell you if I will ever do a complete reinstall of the
OS.
> https://lifehacker.com/in-defense-of-the-clean-install-1726140915

would not be incorporated into systems, speaking personally.
> So, kindly document that this is, as you say, a professional   standard,
> with  objective published sources if you do not mind?
> speaking personally, it counters  the professionals I have worked with for
years, but I am willing to learn from published sources.
> Thanks,
> Karen
>

> On Fri, 7 May 2021, Brad Snyder wrote:
>
>> Hi Donna,
>>
>> I am keeping my fingers crossed in the hope that you will have better
luck with your exchanged MacBook Air.
>> I am confident that you will have better luck setting up the new machine
as a new computer than doing a restoration from a Time Machine backup.
>> As I said before, starting clean is the recommended way to go by most IT
professionals.
>> I don’t think some people understand that doing a restoration from
a Time Machine backup is different than using Time Machine to transfer files
and other data from a backup.
>> When restoring from a Time Machine backup, you are essentially wiping the
destination machine, and essentially cloning the old machine onto the new
machine.  this transfers all the settings and configurations from the old
machine to the new one.
>> When considering that the M1 Macs are very different internally from the
older Intel based Macs, this opens the door to a lot of compatibility
conflicts, which I believe is at the root of the problems you have
experienced with your new M1 MacBook Air.

<macvisionaries@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> That makes two of us!  I know the works out of the box thing is setting
the bar kind of high, but even so, this one really takes the cake.  The
thing that most irritates me about all this, is that when I googled the
error message about not having an available user for authorization, it was
all over the internet.  I followed the steps exactly as described at Apple
Support, and there was no mention of the possibility of receiving that error
there.  Had there been, I probably wouldn't have tried to erase and
reinstall.  Apple really should include that in their instructions, and
better yet, find a fix for it, because it really is a show-stopper.

>> I think I've decided I'm going to do as you suggest, and exchange it.
Clearly other users have not had the problems I have had, so I'll give it
one more go.  As for Time Machine, I will probably use it to restore files,
but nothing else.  It seems unlikely that the Time machine restore had
anything to do with the authorization error, but who knows whether it was
the cause of my original issues with Voiceover.  I personally agree with
others that if it's a supported method of migrating data, it shouldn't
result in such major issues, but that doesn't mean it didn't.

<mailto:wb...@swbell.net>> wrote:

>>> Donna,
>>>
>>> I am really puzzled by all the issues you have experienced trying to
setup your M1 MacBook Air.
>>> While I don’t have an M1 Mac at this time, I know of several
others who have M1 macs, and have not experienced the problems that
you’ve had with setting up  your new machine.
>>> I do know that the M1 is a completely different animal than the prior
Intel Mac, and I can’t help but think there is something in the
configurations that are brought over to your new Mac through the Time
Machine backup, and are causing some kind of conflict with the M1
environment.
>>> If you decide to exchange your bad M1 MacBook Air for another one, you
might consider setting the new one up as a new Mac, and see if that works
out any better.  If you do this and still have problems, I guess you can
return that one and get your money back.

<macvisionaries@googlegroups.com <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>>
wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> As I mentioned, I'll now be returning my MBA.  I have to decide whether
to return it, or exchange it.  After my experience this week, I am very
concerned that this computer just may not be ready for prime-time.  I don't
mean to go negative, but I would appreciate it if anyone who owns one of
these machines could share about any problems that you have encountered.
>>> TIA,
>>> Donna

Visionaries list.

if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

>>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach
>>> mark at:  mk...@ucla.edu <mailto:mk...@ucla.edu> and your owner is
>>> Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com
>>> <mailto:caraqu...@caraquinn.com>

>>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
>>> ---
Groups "MacVisionaries" group.
an email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/5FA8FE85-7ADD-4C09-8D3A-DFC
50B3420FC%40me.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/5FA8FE85-7ADD-4C09-8D3A-DF
C50B3420FC%40me.com>.

Visionaries list.

if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

>>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach
>>> mark at: mk...@ucla.edu <mailto:mk...@ucla.edu> and your owner is
>>> Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com
>>> <mailto:caraqu...@caraquinn.com>

>>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
>>> ---
Groups "MacVisionaries" group.
an email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/1DE352D5-582E-4B00-A6B4-44F
001B124EB%40swbell.net
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/1DE352D5-582E-4B00-A6B4-44
F001B124EB%40swbell.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Visionaries list.

if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach
>> mark
>> at: mk...@ucla.edu and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara
>> at caraqu...@caraquinn.com

>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
>> ---
email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/22B9922C-AC07-4B46-B768-CA9
5E00BF914%40me.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/22B9922C-AC07-4B46-B768-CA
95E00BF914%40me.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Visionaries list.

if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach
>> mark at:  mk...@ucla.edu and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach
>> Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com

>> ---
email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/F8D60E62-4AAD-49B1-8718-A59
FE6F4F7E6%40swbell.net.

> --
> The following information is important for all members of the Mac
Visionaries list.

if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach
> mark at:  mk...@ucla.edu and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach
> Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com

> ---
email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/08cf01d74369%247eccff70%247
c66fe50%24%40gmail.com.

> --
> The following information is important for all members of the Mac
Visionaries list.

if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach
> mark at:  mk...@ucla.edu and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach
> Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com

> ---
email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.