Carolyn,
I wonder where you're trying to open the applications folder? When I'm in
finder, and hit cmd-N to open a new finder window, it automatically puts me in
the home folder. My apps folder is not visible in this window. What I then do
is stop interacting with the area and VO-left to the side-bar and interact and
arrow down once. When re-interacting, I'm now in the scroll area. This is of
course using the icons mode. If in table view you need to expand rather than
open. Guess I'm trying to understand where it is you're having the issue in
order to see if I can replicate it. And the cmd-shift-A command also works
amazingly. This is my preferred choice but as I was saying, I'm trying to
understand where you're attempting to vo-space on apps.