Yes, that sounds good, and I thought as you. However, it doesn't work that way
in practice.

You can pick something from a side bar, and then tap over to the right in order
to find the article or what-ever. However, when you start swiping, or if you
two-finger swipe down to read from that point on, VO is just as likely to start
reading from the top of the page. So, touching is only good for exploring, not
for actually picking a place from where to start reading. Sometimes it works,
but mostly it doesn't.

On the iPhone, you have many screens where controls appear at consistent
positions. On the iPad, with the extra screen area, most apps are just filling
that extra space up with a browser, where touching doesn't really move your
focus to that point like it should, and where you also must often scroll the
content area to find what you want.

So, you're thinking of the iPad like it will be a big iPhone, with lots of
additional screen area for more controls. When, actually, many app developers
have just turned it in to a web terminal with a bit of extra bits and pieces to
frame the browser view. Browsing with Safari has never been quite as fast for
me as the virtual buffer approaches available through the Windows screen
readers. Browsing with Safari, while controlling it with touch, is even slower.
I can do it, but it isn't the quickest approach out there. The iPad turns every
freaking thing in to a web site type experience. I hate that.

I don't mean to say that every app is like that. The iWork apps aren't, and
neither is iBooks. However, I'd say that over half of the apps that I
downloaded that were designed just for the iPad were written by devs that
thought that making an iPad version meant that they could just make their app a
web application with a local frame of buttons.

Bryan