The bar code laser scanners are a huge market. Practically any high volume
inventory management system, from super markets to package shipping companies
use them. Economy of scale has made them about as cheap as they're going to be
for quite some time. If we weren't blind, then a CCD-based scanner could do the
job at practically no cost (less than $20). Of course, the built-in iPhone
camera could do just as well. The laser-based scanners are the only ones that
can recognize the labels in the way that we need.

One other point about the ID Mate. And, by the way, I'm not involved with that
company, and don't own one, so have no personal reason to defend it. Besides
the cost of the laser scanner, another large portion of the cost involves the
licensing fee that they must pay to the manufacturer of the bar code database
in order to legally distribute it with the ID Mate. I know that there are some
free bar code databases online, and some sites that search those databases, but
those barely contain anything other than the product name. The commercial
databases also include everything from ingredients to cooking directions. Even
a basic reader would be welcome, but, in order to have something nice, you'd
also be required to license a bar code database, and that would jack up the
price of your app. Because of the database size, you might not be able to
bundle it with the app itself, due to App Store size restrictions. So, you'd
have to keep the database online, which means a user's one-time purchase of
your app would need to cover your web hosting costs in perpetuity. That isn't
possible. So, your app would need to be a subscription-based service. I don't
know how willing people would be to pay a monthly fee to read bar codes. I
would, but lots of people are too cheap to support tools like that.

Bryan