To: <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: Microsoft Office 2011 and VoiceOver

The problem with something like Notepad is that notepad can only write text files. This is fine if you're just looking to jot down a note or ten. Hence the name notepad, :). MS Word is designed to let you format your text. Now, one could use Wordpad, but that doesn't have a spellchecker. Furthermore, MS Word is able to handle some pretty advanced word processing features: indices, table of contents, table of figures, table of authorities, outlines, bulleted lists, subdocuments, styles, track changes, tables, charts, simple excel calculations and formulas, mail merge, envelope labeling, and probably more I'm not thinking of. WHile your average MS Word user might not even know half of these features exist, there are others who simply cannot live without them. Personally, having taken a course in Office, I can certainly appreciate the idea of MS Word for mac. An awesome word processor on an even more awesome OS? That sounds lovely. Too bad that won't happen for awhile. With that being said, let's look at some of Pages notable features: numerous preloaded templates, the ability to create custom templates, easy insertion of headers and footers, styles, track changes, mail merge, footnotes, endnotes, bookmarks, tables, charts, and formulas. And Pages has the ability to export not only to word documents but epub, rtf, PDF, and html. You can't save as .docx yet, which is a pity, but you can open .docx files just fine.

I'm not saying all this to suggest that everyone immediately love Pages. We can all agree it lacks some features which word has. Honestly, my first instinct is to fire up Word when I'm doing some intense document writing and editing. And I'm a hard core Mac girl. For my every day writing, I use Text Edit, and I love it. I call it WOrdpad on steroids because Wordpad doesn't have a spellchecker, the ability to save to PDF, or the ability to implement basic styles. At any rate, what I am suggesting is that we as Mac users (those of us with Pages at least) step back and say, okay, Pages isn't word. But what can it offer me? Is there some word processing I could be doing in Pages which I previously only did in Word? And if we don't know the answer, why not try creating that document in Pages when we're not on a time crunch? We might just surprise ourselves. In an effort to remain objective, I will also take the opportunity to include this link in my post. It is to Pages reviews on macupdate.com.

http://www.macupdate.com/reviews.php?id=17494