Hi Denise,

The original iPad does have a USB drive.  The iPad 2 does not.

I would suggest that you think about how exactly you want to use this device.
For games?  For media?  For writing?  Would having a physical keyboard be
desirable or not?  You can think of the MacBook Air as a scaled down computer,
and the iPad kind of like an iphone on steroids.  Which would you rather have.

As for portability, I can tell you that I have a 13-inch MacBook Pro, which is
bigger than either of the devices you're considering.  And it's a piece of cake
to haul around.  I think that in terms of portability, you will find either of
the devices you mention to be quite satisfactory.  So I would make the decision
based on what you want to use it for, rather than any difference in size/weight.
HTH,
Donna