So it is only a matter of time before we switch to digital distribution.  This
reality has become more possible with the introduction of the Mac App Store
too.  It is not uncommon for Apple to be bold and make the first step to ditch
legacy peripherals.  For example when they introduced the iMac, they also
decided to only use USB and stopped supporting older serial and parallel
interfaces for printers and mice etc.  It took the PC world a few years to
follow.  Apple were the first to drop the floppy drive and go CD-R only.  i
think they were the first to provide combo super drives too.  They are the
first to provide thunderbolt before anyone else and it will be interesting to
see where this takes us as the data speeds are lightening fast.  Apple were the
main adopters of Firewire too, the PC community pretty much ignored this apart
from Sony who called it iLink.

The future really is no moving parts and fast transfer feeds between appliances
and direct links to the cloud without the need to connect to other devices
first.