Sounds like you are working on the symtoms.  If you can hear the fans when the
computer gets hot then it is doing the right thing in terms of heat control.

Things to look at:
1. Are there any stuck processes. (look in force quit dialog for applications
that are not responding or in Activity monitor.)
2. If your computer is a bit old or you work in a dusty or sandy environment it
might be time to make sure vents and fan areas are clear of debris.  I suggest
the Apple sTore or a computer vendor.  I also know folks that loved to clean
their systems with compressed air.

Jon