Hi Dan and Others,

I've never checked display brightness with an iMac screen.  On all the Mac
laptop screens I've used, setting screen brightness to 0 seems to have the same
effect as turning on the screen curtain.  That's why I asked whether this was
an iMac and what the display settings were in terms of automatic adjustment
under System Preferences.  I'd be really surprised if a laptop user said the
screen stayed bright a 0 level display brightness setting.

Cheers,

Esther