Hi Dan, Tom, Ricardo, and Others,

OK, here's the results about iMac screen brightness for all the inquiring minds
that want to know.  Apparently, the level of screen brightness is, indeed,
characteristic of the iMac backlight, and not a property of Macbooks.  I did
some Google searching, and the first item I turned up was a program to dim Mac
monitors.  There are apparently a bunch of these, but here's the first one I
found, which is a free program named "Brightness Control" with the subtitle
"Dim your monitor easily":
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10429/brightness-control

That's the macupdate page for the program, and what's interesting is that there
are other, similar programs to dim iMac monitors.  However, one of the comments
claims that although the program dims the pixels on the screen, it doesn't turn
off the backlight, so the amount of energy being used is the same -- as though
you had the screen curtain on.  Also, apparently the color balance gets thrown
off when the program is run.  This still might be useful to Tom.

The other interesting page was from a page by "Midwestern Mac, LLC", and it's a
blog post titled "How to Save 20 Watts while Running an iMac (or another Mac)":
http://www.midwesternmac.com/tutorial/2009-05-21/how-save-20-watts-while-running-imac

You can read it with Safari reader (Command-Shift-R on the page to read the
article text without distracting links).  The quick summary is that the blogger
tested his 2008 iMac connected to a UPS that also monitored the power usage of
connected devices.  Even with the display set to lowest brightness, the
computer used about the same amount of power as a 77 watt light bulb.  Turning
the screen of the iMac off dropped that to 30 watts, and putting the computer
to sleep took that down to 4 watts.  But because the backlight on the monitor
was always on, as long as the screen was turned on, it continued to use a good
deal of power.  My guess is that they can't afford to sustain that kind of
power consumption on laptops because they're often run on battery power.
Anyway, here's an excerpted quote from the blog article giving the stats.  You
can read more details about the experiment using the link that I gave above:
<begin quote>
Detailed stats, for those so inclined:

        • Computer on, running a bunch of processes, full brightness = 125 Watts
        • Computer on, highest brightness = 100 Watts
        • Computer on, lowest brightness = 77 Watts
        • Screen turned off (press Shift + Control + Eject) = 30 Watts
        • Computer sleeping = 4 Watts average
        • Computer off = 0 Watts
<end quote>

Very interesting, since it explains that all these iMac monitors don't really
get down to 0 light level when you decrease brightness.  It also means that
even if you dim the screen pixels even further, by using a program like the one
I mentioned at the start of this post, you're still using power that will show
up in your electricity bill.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther