Teresa,
Yes, you did miss a couple of steps. Here is what I did.
1. You were right about finding the "InstallMacLion.app" open the shortcut menu
and click show package content.
2. Find the folder called "Shared Resources".
3. Inside that folder, you will find a file called InstallESD.dmg.
4. Copy that file to a new location such as the desktop.
5. I think you know the rest. Launch disc Utilities and burn the dmg file to a
dvd.

Enjoy