The two sets of instructions do exactly the same thing, they modify the
properties file of the application  which is sorta kinda like the registry in
Windows, though by no means as global.

So  using the defaults command adds a new item to the appropriate plist file
using Apple standard operating procedure and editing the plist and adding in a
couple of XML codes will do the same thing.

There is also a program in the developer tools that allows you to examine and
edit a plist file  as though you were perusing an Outline.
Best wishes,

Jonathan