My usual rules of thumb for CAPTCHA which work at Internet scale are:

1. Algorithmically generated puzzles which are hard for algorithms to solve (one-way transforms) Likewise, puzzles which are reasonably possible for real people to solve
2. Puzzles which do not require localization
3. Puzzles which are not susceptible to brute force attacks (high random success rates)

That said, it should be obvious that swirled character image captchas will not work for those with vision impairments but this is easily remedied with an audio version. Audio and image recognition are pretty much the two areas that algorithms have trouble with. Common solution is multiple people speaking on top of each other. Hard for algorithms to crack but not impossible for real people. Playback using Sound Manager 2

http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/

does the heavy lifting to select native html5 or flash for the audio and do it in a way that works for all browsers. Other than that they just have to make sure that the audio play button is easily found in the tab order and, once pressed, moves focus to the text input. Not much else needed beyond that.

CB