Okay, here was the question I was trying to ask when things really fell apart.
This evening I found the David Woodbridge tutorial on adjusting the system volume and VoiceOver volume independently. In his example, he was playing a relax something in the background. When I did it, I was playing his mp3 tutorial. I then used the command-option-command left arrow to find volume. I then held down the modifier keys and moved down to lower the voiceover volume. I followed his exercise and then started moving back up. In his example, when he hit 96 per cent, the next thing was system volume 20 per cent. He could then raise, but not lower the system volume. In my attempt, after 95 per cent was 100 per cent and that was that. When I use function F11 to lower the system volume, it lowered VoiceOver as well. In trying to look around, I can't find any setting that refers to separating these two volume levels. I keep having this experience with his tutorials. He says do this and that will happen. I do this and just hear bink! According to the about this mac, I have 10.7.3. Where am I going wrong here?
Thanks.

Veronica
Watch and hear The Guide Dog Glee Club sing The Star-spangled Banner at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNLclisGqQ
Then learn about Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
                Veronica Elsea, Owner
Laurel Creek Music Designs
Santa Cruz, California