When I went into gmail settings, I could not find anything to enable immediate
deletion of messages.  I recall some time ago when there was an option in
Google Labs supporting an option to make gmail's IMAP emulation work like
normal IMAP servers but I haven't heard anything more on this since then.

In the mean time, the messages I delete with the delete key are now placing
messages into a folder called Deleted messages.  I guess I will have to go this
route for now and use Mutt email client to go in and move them all over to
[Gmail]/Trash from time to time.  Or just go back to moving them to Trash
manually each time I wish to delete stuff.  Frankly, the the delete function in
Apple Mail for Lion is not doing the job the way I want it to.  It might work
well for POP or standard IMAP but not for gmail IMAP.