I second Jonhathan's remarks here.  Apple provides a 1 year warantee
for all their computers at a minimum and if you can dig up a spare $99
before this June, you can extend your coverage for an additional two
years; that's the Apple Care program.  Anyway, without the Apple Care,
you can still get that box down to an Apple store before June and it
shouldn't cost you a dime.  You should not be experiencing random
behavior with your machine; at least not having to log in sometimes
and other times not.  Maybe one way to get something consistent could
be to go into your system preferences and go bback to requiring a
login and while in there, set login options to use VoiceOver.  You can
find all this under System Preferences -> User options.  I don't have
my machine in front of me right now so cannot give you more exact
information.  At least then perhaps you could have speech the whole
time and just login each time; VO should come up each time the login
completes.  See, VO runs during the login screen, then it turns off
depending on who logs in and then if you previously had VO running in
that user session, then VO will come back on.

Hope this isn't too confusing.