You can do it either way.  Look around the User options under System
preferences. I forget what the option is called exactly but there is
something to specify to Automatically login.  But in case this keeps
acting up on you, you may want to check the VoiceOver at login option
also.  I mentioned this in my last message but you may not have seen
that one yet.

Oh, if I had that much transportation trouble, I'd give my home
teachers a call (LDS right?) If they have the time and are any good at
all, they should be able to help you out or refer someone to help you
out.  that's one beauty of our church.