A few tips for your difficulties:

To keep textedit from formatting the text, first change to plain text mode by
pressing command-shift-T. I use this to save web pages, pdf documents and the
like all the time, and it works perfectly.

Voiceover. Again, copy and paste into TextEdit for proper formatting.

I agree with the problem for downloading a link. How I do it is this: turn off
the trackpad. Put the mouse cursor on the link with fn-vo-command-f5. Then hold
down control and press down the trackpad. Then you should get the link's
context menu. A pain but it works consistently.

Brandon