If your directions are correct, I am curious why just turning off
visual notifications entirely does not get rid of the "Skype has new
window" announcements. I don't have Growl, so that choice is dimmed in
my case. But I unchecked "Display visual notifications," and I still
get numerous "new window" announcements. I want them to go away.