Hallo Alex,

of course, an iPhone app is not always as accurate as a specially designed and
calibrated color detection device since it is simply not color calibrated. I
guess, this is the reason why people at Digit Eyes withdraw from such a
project. They couldn't get the accuracy they wanted. On the other hand, I
compare the results of the ColorVisor with a color detection device I own and
find them quite comparable. If you take into account that the app is much
cheaper than a special device, this method is worth a try. There is also one
big advantage in using the ColorVisor for color recognition: you can scan
remote object such as the sky and liquids. Generally, you have to be more
careful about lights and shadows when using an app.

The ColorVisor also works well on the iPod and the iPad as far as you can
control the surrounding light conditions or know how to deal with it. This may
sound a bit strange for a blind person to achieve, but with some practise it is
possible. Of course, you have more opportunities with a torch.

I hope this answer gave you some impressions. We can extend the discussion if
you like.

Greetings

Jan

---
ColorVisor - The app to identify colors.
Available on the App Store:
http://itunes.com/app/ColorVisor
---
Dr. Jan Blüher
visorApps - Accessible apps for iPad & iPhone
Bayreuther Str. 2
D-01187 Dresden
Germany

phone: +49 (0) 351 16053907