That happens here as well. Apple probably will tell you that it depends how the
side is built.
I recently discribed to them the issue that VO quite often doesn't interact
with a web page, despite the fact that it's checked in the the VO settings.
They told me it depends on the web side not on VO. My impression is Safari is
not built to support all the possibilities of VoiceOver. And so it seems not to
work reliablly. But I wonder why it works in Internet Explorer and Jaws on the
same side. Maybe the structure of Internet Explorer allows a better
compatibility to a screen reader. I don't know. But if it is not a VO issue and
it works in Windows screen readers it might be so.