Hi Sandy and others interested,

After you have fusion installed and you have a windows vm running, you can go a
few different ways. As it is by default with fusion and windows, the command
key next to the spacebar, is not the alt key as you would expect from a windows
keyboard. Instead, command is now the windows logo key, while the mac option
key is alt, in windows. You can choose to leave that as it is, or you can swap
the keys if you prefer so. You can do this in the global preferences inside
fusion, command comma, when all VMs are shut down. There is a keyboard setup
screen with multiple tab sheets there, available from the toolbar. You'll find
a listbox there, containing all current, default key bindings. For example, the
mac user does a command c to copy, while in windows, you would do control c
rather than command c. So, fusion, to make the windows interface as intuitive
as possible for the mac user, assigns command c to be mapped to control c. In
other words, in a windows virtual machine, by default, command c does the same
thing as control c.

This is not always what you want. There are a few other keystrokes that can get
in your way, mapped inside this same screen, that you may want to get rid of,
depending on your preference. For instance, command h, by default in windows
fusion, maps to hide the current application, in this case fusion itself, while
alt h in windows, will simply open, or pull down, the help menu for the current
program. This is only true, if you swap the windows and alt keys yourself, so
that the windows keyboard feels more like a windows one. When I was inside
windows working happily away, I pressed alt h to open the help, and suddenly
speech went away. I later discovered, that fusion was out of focus, and so I
was in the mac system. After turning voiceover back on, I could navigate back
into windows, turn it off, and continue windowing. so depending on your
preference, you might want to do away with these key bindings.

Anyway, over 10 key combinations are here by default, and simply by
highlighting the key you don't want changed and hitting the remove button next
to the list box, you can get rid of them.

In windows xp, you can start narrator in a few ways. You can type in its name
and have windows start that up. In this case, hit alt plus r, type narrator,
and hit enter. Or, you can start narrator by launching what is called the
utility manager in windows. This is a program for assistive technologies, and
if you run that, it also happens to invoke narrator. To start narrator this
way, simply hit windows logo, plus the u key, as in utility manager. Be aware
though, that you now have 2 programs open, the utility manager and the
narrator. If you then alt tab to the utility manager, you can safely close it,
without loosing speech, because narrator is still running, and so you no longer
need utility manager to be running, because you only used it to invoke narrator.

In windows 7, I found that the easiest way to get narrator to talk, is by
hitting alt plus r, typing narrator followed by enter. You can still use
utility manager, but I don't know its keystrokes. Once narrator is running, you
need a way to get NVDA or any screen reader of choice, to run in windows. To do
that, you could use a USB stick, but there's an easier method.

You can access your mac files, from within windows, using a service that fusion
gives you.
If, during the windows setup in fusion, you chose to set windows up more
seamless, as opposed to more isolated, then in seemless mode, there is an icon
on your desktop called vmware shared folders. Technically, this is a virtual
network connection, but in practice, this takes you into your mac file system,
and if you have NVDA downloaded there somewhere, then you can easily install it.

If you move to windows 7 from xp, which is wise in the near future given the
fact that security updates will no longer appear after april 14th 2014, then if
you install NVDA, it may seem to hang during the installation. This is in fact
not true, but what I had to find out about before being able to install NVDA,
is that on the screen, but in the background, there is a user access control
window, asking you if you really want to install a new peace of software. UAC
protects you from installing unintentional things, by popping up a warning if
windows sees that stuff is being installed, and that's all fine and good, but
not if you are not aware of this window appearing in the background, while you
are awaiting the finish of the NVDA installation. What you can do is, simply
alt tab to this UAC window, say yes, and immediately NVDA goes on and installs.

Hth,
Paul.