Can’t seem to do that in OS 10.9.  I do the following.

1.  Switch mail to use classic view.

2.  Close pref window.

3.  Move to the right of the messasge table until I find the splitter thingie,
I think there’s only one but that the one I go to.
4.  Now, use VO+CMD+F5 to rout the mouse to that point.

5.  Now, activate the mouse keys with Option five times.

6.  Now, press zero on the numbers row to lock the mouse.

7.  Now, press the o key until I hear something different but I don’t.

        I’ve even tried this with the track pad with Track pad commander off
and it don’t work.

I think I must be doing something wrong but cannot be sure.  I’m using a Mac
book Pro with the FN key on the very left bottom of the bluetooth keyboard and
only a left side control key if that helps.

Sent from my Mac, the only computer with full accessibility for the blind
built-in!

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray, still a very happy Mac and Iphone 5 user!