I did this

1.  Using classic view, I made sure I was not interacting with the message
table.

2.  Next, pressed VO+down till I heard “horisontal scrole area.

3.  Next, routed the mouse to that area.

4.  Making sure track pad commander was off, (it’s always off for me) I double
clicked the track pad.

Still, I cannot tell if messages are read or unread but, I suspect that they
are read as I arrow over them because as I arrow through them, I hear the time
stamp before the subject line if a message is read.  If a message is unread, I
hear the subject line first.

I wish they would fix this damn thing.

Sent from my Mac, the only computer with full accessibility for the blind
built-in!

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray, still a very happy Mac and Iphone 5 user!