Okay.  So, after I double click with the track pad, do I slide my finger either
left or right?  IF not, how do I know the blasted pain is closed?

Usually use standard view.

Sent from my Mac, the only computer with full accessibility for the blind
built-in!

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray, still a very happy Mac and Iphone 5 user!