Hi,
There’s an issue with your idea about HomeSharing from the external drive.  In
order to set up HomeSharing, you need to be running a iTunes with a computer
attached to that external HD.  So, just having your Library stored on the
external will not allow HomeSharing.  There are some Network Attached Storage
solutions that have iTunes Music Sharing capabilities, but they only allow for
streaming music from that device, no HomeShare copying style of capabilities.

Your best bet is to probably have two Libraries like you’re wanting.  By far,
the easiest method of doing this is to simply copy your existing iTunes folder
from your MBA over to the external HD.  so,

1.  Go to your Desktop.
2.  Press cmd-shift-h to bring up your Home folder.
3.  Open the Music folder.
4.  Locate the iTunes folder and press cmd-c to Copy it.
5.  Paste it to your external HD.

Now, you just press the Option key as iTunes is starting and you can pick from
either Library.  The limitation in this scenario is that the external HD must
be physically connected via USB or Thunderbolt.

The other method you may try is to only move the iTunes media to the external
HD and create two independent libraries on your MBA.  Follow the same steps as
above but after #3, open the iTunes folder and locate the iTunes Media folder.
Copy that folder instead over to the external HD.  Then if you hold down the
Option key while starting up iTunes, you can tell iTunes to create a new
library.  You could name the new library iTunes Everything, or something else
meaningful to you.  Now, with two iTunes libraries, you can pick and choose
which items go in which Library as they are independent of each other.  In this
scenario, you’d need to choose the iTunes Media folder located on the external
HD for the second iTunes Library.  This is done by going into your iTunes
Prefs, in the Advanced pane, and choosing the iTunes Media folder located on
the external drive.  The main thing to note here is that the xml and other
iTunes database files remain on the local MBA but the actual media is located
elsewhere.  This is a necessary evil due to the way that iTunes interacts with
these local files.

Hope this makes sense.  The option drag function that the individual was
speaking of in your earlier post is simply the MacOS way of duplicating an item
using mouse drag processes.  That is, if a sighted user tried to drag a folder
from one location to another on the same volume, it is usually just moved
whereas when you hold down the Option key, it makes a copy of the original item
in the new location.

Later…

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada