I have it set to the default player.  Once voice over says Interact with video
playback toolbar item palette, I go to the far right of the window
function-VO-right-arrow for my MBA, then VO-space on full screen.  I visualize
this controller panel as a horizontal line along the bottom.  On the left you
have volume low, then a slider for volume, then volume high.  Next a checkbox
for play, exit full screen.  Finally on the right side is the total timeline, a
slider to move the video forwards or backwards, then the time remaining.

This works the best for me.  I’m visually impaired so I like the videos in full
screen.  Keep in mind, for some reason the shortcut command-F will put the
video in full screen, but the controls won’t show up.

HTH,
Traci