Hi Nick,

Try this with pop-ups:

1.  Navigate to the cell with the pop-up menu.
2.  Route the mouse to the VO-cursor with VO-cmd-f5.
3.  Turn on Mouse-keys.  (Press the Option key five times if you’ve set this up
in System Preferences.)
4.  Go right 85 to 90 times.  (Letter “o” on a laptop or smaller keyboard and
NumPad 6 on a extended keyboard)
5.  Click the mouse-keys mouse.  (Letter “i” on a laptop or smaller keyboard
and NumPad 5 on an extended keyboard)
6.  Turn off mouse-keys.  (Same process as #3)
7.  Move through the pop-up as you normally would.

This doesn’t solve the issue that VO doesn’t tell you that you’re actually on a
pop-up menu cell nor is it particularly pretty.  The 85 to 90 pixels right may
change depending on the width of your cells but this appears to work for a
standard width cell.  This mouse-keys stuff sometimes works in apps that the
developer has placed custom elements in that aren’t visible to VO.  It’s a lot
of trial and error though to actually figure out something useful for the VO
user.  WorkGroup Manager has an entire section that is coded with some sort of
custom element and I need to mouse-keys down 250 or so then left or right about
140 (or some other numbers I’ve had to determine) to activate specific
preference panes for managing MacOS clients.  This is a huge pain for me, has
been this way since the start of VO in Tiger and Apple has yet to address it as
far as I know.  It’s especially frustrating when I’m interrupted and lose count
or just lose count when my mind wanders.

Anyway, give this method a try and see if it works for you.

Later…

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada