Hi,

Nils Faerber wrote:
> Have you ever tried recent GPE on a 200MHz iPaq?
> I find that very "snappy" too and it uses GTK2...
>
> The latest GTK release uses Cairo for rendering - which is nice in
> general but really a performance hog. But this is only in the very
> latest release. I hope and guess that this problem has already been
> recognised by the GTK developers and they hopefully work on it.

i just tried two GPE images on an iPAQ h5550 yesterday. One using GTK 2.6.x and
one using GTK 2.8.x. Comparing the behaviour without any measurement 2.8 just
feels slower. Like discussed before memory usage is another issue...

> I would like to have Cairo as a compile time option and not a fixed
> dependency. For small devices like the 770 or other PDAs you could then
> go without it (or slower devices).

This would be a good solution, but this would lead to the situation that you can
have incompatible builds of the same GTK version. I guess this is the main
reason why the GTK developers only provide a very few compile time options. For
example disabling deprecated bits at build time would be such an option too. It
would save some space and make sure developers do not use deprecated features
anymore.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: 0271-771091-14

6C 44 30 4C 43 20 6B 61  16 07 0F AA E6 97 70 A8