Hello,

Actually you should build the maemo-af-desktop with dpkg-buildpackage:

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

It has been explained in my blog from last year or so:
http://www.karoliinasalminen.com/blog/?page_id=16

If you install the built debian package, the menu structure should work.
Can you explain in more detail what did you do in order for making empty
menu?

Best Regards,
Karoliina Salminen