"ext Marius Gedminas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I suggested on IRC yesterday to modify the postinst script of
> maemo-af-desktop (or whatever the package that restarts an important
> process and causes the lifeguard to reboot) to not stop/restart the
> process.

I think you are now talking about Sardine, right?  There are big
problems with upgrading from Mistral to Sardine, and within Sardine
itself.  But I think the Sardine docs have enough warnings so that
people don't have wrong expectations.

> (I'd be interested in experimenting with this if I had a spare Nokia
> 770 that I wasn't afraid of breaking.)

Dual booting might be a good alternative:

    http://maemo.org/maemowiki/SardineDistro
    http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_GetStartedWithSardine