On 9/14/06, Devesh Kothari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Proposal to streamline maemo repos. PLEASE give your feedback and
concerns. If anyone can improve or shoot this down, then it is YOU.

Proposal:

1. To change the name of the "contrib" repository name to "extras"
[snip]

   Impact to developers/contributors/users of contrib
     - Currently configured repository in /etc/apt/sources.list would
       have to be changed
[snip]

Sorry, I think you're too late. You should have considered these
issues in advance, and introducing another "please change your
settings" to users just looks a little unprofessional so soon after
the EABI change (which we all agree was worthwhile, but the users
don't think they see the benefit).

I suppose the only redeeming feature would be that there aren't *many*
projects yet using contrib. However if you were going to do any such
change, make the settings more clear for a user:

 * make sure the settings match those provided by default by the AM
 * if "free non-free" doesn't match the defaults, make it as simple as
   possible. Why does the Debian distinction need to apply here, given
   the limited data entry on a Maemo device?

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.bleb.org/