On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:38:21AM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Andrew Flegg schreef:
> > On 9/14/06, Devesh Kothari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Proposal to streamline maemo repos. PLEASE give your feedback and
> >> concerns. If anyone can improve or shoot this down, then it is YOU.
> >>
> >> Proposal:
> >>
> >> 1. To change the name of the "contrib" repository name to "extras"
> > [snip]
> >>
> >>    Impact to developers/contributors/users of contrib
> >>      - Currently configured repository in /etc/apt/sources.list would
> >>        have to be changed
> > [snip]
> >
> > Sorry, I think you're too late. You should have considered these
> > issues in advance, and introducing another "please change your
> > settings" to users just looks a little unprofessional so soon after
> > the EABI change (which we all agree was worthwhile, but the users
> > don't think they see the benefit).
>
> *If* you want to make such a change, make sure you release a new firmware
> image that has
> all the changes and have a short changeover period to minimize the annoyance.
> And if you are going to release a new firmware image, please release an RC
> first to get
> rid of the most obvious bugs.

I don't see how this would affect the firmware image because
"contrib/extras" repo is not configured there by default.

It seems there was a typo in the URLs in Devesh's mail. I guess it
should be http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ instead of ...extra/ ??

Anyways, I feel that this slight reorganization is needed and to me it's
not that big of a deal.

Br,
Jari

--