At Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:52:07 +0100,
Graham Cobb wrote:
> The second problem is the real problem: categories are random, overlapp or
> are
> just variant words for the same thing and are not translated.  As someone
> suggested when this was last discussed, some months ago, I believe there
> should be a Wiki page which lists all the package names the community finds
> acceptable.  That list should be editable by anyone who has upload rights and
> who thinks they need a new category.  If the addition of the new category is
> disputed, it would be discussed here and the community would come to a
> consensus.

This is an interesting idea and has made me think of the following:
there could be a file that list the name of a category and synonyms
for that category.  The AM could download this file regularly (i.e.,
at update time) and sort applications according to the list of
category names.  This fixes all the problems that you noted except the
translation problem.  The translation problem could be fixed in that
for each language, the category name is different but the synonyms are
the same.  But, I don't know anything about localization.

Neal